Friday, October 05, 2007

Statement from the Rev. Marcus Robertson concerning actions of the Diocese of Georgia

From Stand Firm:

October 5, 2007- Savannah, Ga. The following is a statement released by the office of The Rev. Marcus B. Robertson regarding the utterly false claim by The Rt. Rev. Henry Louttit of the Diocese of Georgia that The Rev. Marcus Robertson and The Rev. Sally Lufburrow have renounced their Holy Orders.

“As of the writing of this statement I have not received anything in writing from the Bishop’s office regarding my ordained status, but learned of it from a friend who found it on the internet. On October 2, Bishop Louttit asked me directly if I intended to renounce my orders. In the presence of four witnesses, I answered clearly that I would not renounce my orders. I also have reiterated that same answer in a letter hand-delivered to Bishop Louttit today. I have not renounced my Orders, never have renounced my Orders, and I have no intention renouncing my Orders.”

“Regarding the Bishop’s actions against The Rev. Sally Lufburrow, Sally stated clearly during a telephone conversation with the Bishop on Wednesday, October 1, that she did not renounce her Orders. She then confirmed this conversation with a letter clearly reiterating that fact. After the Bishop’s action, a second letter confirming she does not renounce her orders was hand delivered today (October 5). Sally has never renounced her Orders and has no intention of renouncing her Orders.”

“Layne Hansen and Greg Malley were clergy canonically resident in the Diocese of Pittsburgh. Prior to Bishop Louttit’s action, both of them had transferred their orders to the Anglican Province of Uganda with the blessing of Bishop Duncan. They are fully recognized clergy in the Anglican Province of Uganda, and will continue to serve at Christ Church.”

“Bishop Louttit is free to take this matter up with Archbishop Henry Orombi under whose ecclesial authority we now reside.”

No comments: