Steve Wood (S.C.) and the Presiding Bishop
From Steve Wood of the Diocese of South Carolina, thoughts on his recent meeting with the presiding bishop and six other rectors:
What I think:
I think that the financial challenges facing the reorganization of the National Church offices could be addressed with a return to creedal Christianity and a cessation of the lawsuits.
I think that the conservative/re-asserting remnant will get their legislative clocks cleaned at General Convention 2009.
I think that B033 is going to be repealed at General Convention 2009.
I think that the marriage (in States where the legislature or courts have ruled this legal) or blessing of same-sex persons will be authorized at General Convention 2009.
I think that the 2009 General Convention will modify the “Dennis Canon”, giving the National Church property ownership (it’s hard to remember that until 1979 PARISHES “owned” their property - not the Diocese or National Church).
I think that many in leadership at the 2009 General Convention will be content to walk apart from the Anglican Communion.
I think that based on the experience with women’s ordination the 2009 General Convention will debate, and defeat, a “conscious clause” with regard to same-sex ordinations and blessings/marriages.
I think that the above actions will render it impossible for anyone left from “my side” to remain within TEC (though, of course, some will).
What I hope:
That a new North American Anglican Province is formed in the very near future.
Read it all.

No comments:
Post a Comment