Saturday, July 21, 2007

When I consider how my light is spent

Sonnet XIX.
On His Blindness.


divine light (Google Images)
When I consider how my light is spent,
Ere half my days in this dark world and wide,
And that one talent which is death to hide
Lodged with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
My true account, lest He returning chide,
'Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?'
I fondly ask. But patience, to prevent
That murmur, soon replies, 'God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts. Who best
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is kingly: thousands at his bidding speed,
And post o'er land and ocean without rest;
They also serve who only stand and wait.'

John Milton
English poet
(1608-1674)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your website and the title. and OH - Thank you for the powerful poetry that so fits and comforts us in this time in the history of the Church. I love the photo over Milton's poem...did you notice the heart-shaped cloud? It is finally and always God's love that holds us. I agree with Pope Benedict XVI that believing in God's love is the critical building block of our relationship with Him, after receiving the revelation that Jesus Christ is Lord. (Deus Caritas Est - I John 4:16).

Anne Coletta said...

Thanks, Georgia.