Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Several California dioceses breaking away soon?

From SanDiegoAnglicans.com:

By "breaking away," from The Episcopal Church (TEC), I don't mean that the Episcopal Dioceses of Los Angeles, San Diego, El Camino Real, and Northern California are trying to pull a move like The (no longer Episcopal) Diocese of San Joaquin.

NO SILLY, I mean these dioceses could very well end up literally, physically breaking away from the rest of the American church and (hopefully) floating out to sea. Geologists predict that the dioceses of Los Angeles and San Diego may split down the middle if such a move occurs.

Actually, I'm only half joking here folks. It's getting serious. To illustrate what's going on, I've taken a screenshot of today's impressive USGS California "shake map" and overlayed it with Anglican / Episcopal diocesan boundary lines. The red circle highlights the area of unusually strong and ongoing activity over the past week or so. The straight red lines shows the approximate path of the San Andreas Fault (caution: don't read the UC study on likelihood of a big one happening soon along the SAF).

Even 130 miles away from this activity, I've definitely felt a couple of the larger ones this past week or so. Our building downtown was rocking for a good five minutes this afternoon following the 5.0 M. Apparently, there was another 4.7 M earthquake today while I was driving home.

Get all the data at http://usgs.gov/, truly one of the most amazing scientific web sites of all time.

California Map: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Maps/special/California_Nevada.php

Check it out (and yes, there have been tremors all week).

No comments: