Update on San Diego diocesan convention, Part IV (Final) *Corrected
Okay, we’ve been through the convention agenda (Part I), changes to resolution 08-07 (Part II), and the rest of the resolutions (Part III). This final post will be on my overall impressions of the San Diego diocesan convention.
- San Diego has had eight churches leave the diocese, three that kept their property (Holy Trinity, St. Anne’s, St. John’s) and five where clergy and the bulk of the congregation left (Christ the King, All Saints', Holy Cross, Grace, St. Timothy’s). There are only a few (three that I know of) primarily traditional, conservative, reasserting churches left. Bishop Mathes in his convention address said that the diocese has 49 congregations. That number includes missions as well as small remnants still in play from the churches that left. Of these 49 congregations, half are receiving some form of diocesan aid. There is real financial fall-out from the dissolution of the Anglican Communion overall and San Diego in particular.
- As a member of one of the few traditional parishes left, it is a somewhat lonely feeling to be sitting in convention and hearing resolutions come up (specifically Resolution 08-09 calling for a theological study on “Holiness in Relationships”) and there is no discussion, response, or reaction from the delegates. Everyone just sat there and assented (except for a few lone “no’s” that made absolutely no difference). Other than one minor amendment, no one spoke to the resolution. Of course, resolutions are brought up at the very end of convention after many have already left.
- Not being a “company” gal myself, it was interesting in my resolution hearing sessions to realize that some of those who came to listen just wanted to know if the bishop supported the resolution. Whatever the bishop supported, they would support, and whatever he didn’t, they wouldn’t.
- In agreeing to substitute language for my resolution, did I "sell out"? Is is better to hold on to principle and end up with nothing (after a contentious fight), or to compromise and end up with something, even if that something is weaker than one would like? And in agreeing to a compromise, I know that those I might disagree with theologically end up benefitting from that compromise.
- There are “moles” everywhere.
- Prayer is essential, and Ephesians 6 is mandatory.

3 comments:
Thanks, Ann.
I think your last 4 points are very insightful toward the reality dynamic of diocesan conventions these days - and perhaps for the last 40 years - and where the last point on Prayer, combined with Ephesians, has become the only antidote.
Appreciate very much your stickin' with it.
IMO, something is better than nothing, particularly, if it keeps the subject of abortion front and center. Abortion wins if it isn't talked about. Life wins when abortion is really looked at. You did the right thing, Anne. And few of us would have had the courage and patience to do what you and your colleagues did.
Another church that lost a sizable number to a Southern Cone diocese is St. Paul's, Yuma. The name of the Anglican church in the Diocese of Bolivia escapes me at the moment.
Thanks, Rob and Judith. You're right, Judith - I forgot about St. Paul's in Yuma (it's always so odd to me that the Diocese of San Diego has a parish in Arizona!) - I know people left, but I'm not sure if clergy left. Those who did leave started Christ the Redeemer Anglican under Uganda.
Post a Comment