Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Yips Limit *Updated*

UPDATE: I know, I know - I said Captain Yips commentary below was the only post on the Presiding Bishop's Easter message I would reference, but I hadn't read this yet, and Mr. Johnson does fisk so well (so read it all):

Mrs. Schori has a few handy suggestions.
We are beginning to be aware of the ways in which our lack of concern for the rest of creation results in death and destruction for our neighbors. We cannot love our neighbors unless we care for the creation that supports all our earthly lives. We are not respecting the dignity of our fellow creatures if our sewage or garbage fouls their living space.

Flying the Executive Council off to Ecuador doesn't count since the Episcopal Organization has a fleet of magic fairy airplanes that actually consume greenhouse gases.
When atmospheric warming, due in part to the methane output of the millions of cows we raise each year to produce hamburger, begins to slowly drown the island homes of our neighbors in the South Pacific, are we truly sharing good news?

We're done here. I was going to ask how my cutting back on trips to McDonald's or White Castle would help "our neighbors in the South Pacific" any since it would mean that fewer cows would die when it hit me like a baseball bat in the face.

This is Mrs. Schori's EASTER message. Easter, arguably the most important season in the Christian year. And what has Mrs. Schori managed to work in? The Good News of the Resurrection? God's victory over sin and death? The promise of eternal life with our heavenly Father? Nope.

Cow flatulence.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I have begun referring to it as the Episcopal Organization.

ORIGINAL: From Captain Yips Secret Journal, this is the only reference I will make to the Presiding Bishop's Easter message, because words are of little use in describing some things:
This last Monday, a feeling of dread and unease came over me when I realized that rapidly approaching Easter also meant a rapidly approaching Peeb's Easter Message. This is a terrible thing to realize on a Monday morning, especially right after the Daylight Savings switch. I had to lie down for a while.

It has arrived.

It's about cows.

I am not making this up.

In a way, this is not so bad. Horrible, ghastly, enervating, inconsequential -yes. It's a "situation hopeless but not serious" sort of thing. What I must now wonder is whether the Episcopal Organization (good one, dude) has now passed what I'll call The Yips Limit (with apologies to Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar). The collapsing force of sheer silly trivialization has now overwhelmed the sustaining outward pressure of residual Christianity, and the EO will now rapidly collapse into a very dense object indeed. In other words, the products of the Peeb are now self parodying. . .

Read it all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bishop Shori would have us take fallen creation and simply tidy it up a bit. Works, not faith in action.